So the next time you need money and don’t have your ATM card, don’t worry. Since QR codes are dynamic, they keep changing with each transaction and hence cannot be copied. Once the transaction is approved on the app, you can withdraw your money. The QR codes you scan on the ATMs are all dynamic so they change for every transaction and cannot be copied.
Using the facility, customers can withdraw cash using their mobile with any application which is UPI enabled like BHIM, Paytm, GPay. Currently functioning ATMs can all be upgraded with new software for this. You will have to scan a new QR code every time you want to withdraw money. This is perhaps tedious but it is the best way to secure your transactions.
This tech allows users to easily withdraw cash from an ATM without a credit or debit card. The City Union Bank has reportedly said that around 1,500 of its ATMs across the country already support this feature. This also ensures that the transaction through this process is secure.
The actual working of this new Technology
- Using the facility, customers can withdraw cash using their mobile with any application which is UPI enabled like BHIM, Paytm, GPay.
- Customers will not be required to swipe or carry cards while visiting such ATMs as they just need to scan the QR code on the screen. After this, the customers need to authorize the cash withdrawal through their mobile phones.
- In order to increase the safety of the transactions, the QR code will be changed frequently. As the traction is based on a dynamic QR code, the QR code cannot be copied as with each transaction the code changes.
- The withdrawal limit for such transactions is capped at ₹5,000
- Customers will be able to avail this dynamic QR code-based interoperable cardless cash withdrawal facility from any ATM of any bank if they have been upgraded.
How to withdraw money
- Go to any ATM that supports this facility and scan the QR code on the machine.
- Enter the exact amount you want to withdraw.
- You need to authorize the transaction using the UPI-enabled mobile app.
- After the transaction is approved you will be able to withdraw the money.
FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions)
1. Who imposes this new method for ATMs?
The company in partnership with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and City Union Bank has launched this facility.
2. Is it safe?
From a security perspective, this is the most secure facility yet given that since there is no need to swipe the card leave alone carry the card physically, there is no way your card can be skimmed for one, Dastur said. Secondly, since the traction is based on a dynamic QR code, unlike in UPI App, there is no way that one can copy the QR code as with each transaction the code changes, hence it is called dynamic QR code, he explained.
3. When will this facility be available to all?
The NCR Corporation and the NPCI are currently discussing how this facility can be implemented across all ATMs in the country. The two bodies are in constant communication with public and private sector banks and a formal association with them will be announced in the next couple of months.