DuckDuckGo is a privacy-based search engine that focuses on anonymous search without collecting any user data. It is one of the best alternatives to Google if you are worried about your data being used.
DuckDuckGo utilizes Apple Maps as its default mapping system. Having no mapping solution of its own, it relied on third-party apps. Google was not an option as it collected user data, but Apple maps were seen as a possible choice as it eliminates this problem.
In early 2019, DuckDuckGo announced their partnership with Apple and reassured users that they strictly do not send any personal information to Apple or any other third parties. Also, the location information is deleted immediately after use.
Apple Maps on Windows
- To open Apple Maps on a Windows PC or laptop, open any browser and go to DuckDuckGo.com
- Search for any location and then click on Maps at the top of the page.
- To get walking or driving directions, just click on the Directions button. You can also view local businesses on the map by sharing your precise location with the help of the Map-pin icon at the top right corner of the map.
- You can also set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine as mentioned here.
- Apple Maps on Android
- To open Apple Maps on an Android smartphone or tablet, follow the same steps as in Windows. You can also download the DuckDuckGo browser app from Google Playstore.
- Apple Maps is not as feature-rich as Google maps and Microsoft Bing.
- It lacks features like Real-time traffics, route planning, and directions for public transports.
- At the same time, business listings include TripAdvisor ratings, contact information, and opening hours.
- Though you can get to know what Apple Maps feel like, you cannot expect the best results.
- You will miss out on features like “Look-around” and Apple’s impressive-looking 3D photogrammetry.
- Also, if you click on Navigate, you will be asked to redirect to Google Maps or Microsoft Bing depending on your device.