These two iPhones follow the same pattern as their predecessors with the iPhone 15 setting the base for the new generation, and the ‘Plus’ merely acting as its bigger twin. With the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus, the biggest upgrade is the Dynamic Island displays making way for the pill-shaped notch. Other than that, incremental upgrades are what you get with these two new iPhones.
Apple has finally taken the wraps off the iPhone 15 series. As expected, there are four new models this time too — iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max. There’s a lot to unpack so here, we’re going to talk about the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus first.
This year, all of Apple's iPhone models are equipped with a USB Type-C port, making them the first handsets to arrive without Apple's proprietary Lightning charging port.
iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus were launched globally on Tuesday at Apple's 'Wonderlust' launch event. Both handsets feature a few notable hardware upgrades over last year's iPhone models.
iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus: price in India, release date
iPhone 15’s price in India starts from Rs 79,900 for the 128GB base variant, while the iPhone 15 Plus starts from Rs 89,900 for the same storage option. Take a look at the prices for all the variants below:
You can pre-order the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus starting September 15th at 5:30 PM IST, with sales starting from September 22nd.
Apple CEO Tim Cook introduced the new devices at Apple’s Wonderlust event at Apple Park in Cupertino, California, though the rumor mill has (as always) been going for months. In terms of how you’ll actually use your iPhone, some of the largest changes this year will be in iOS 17: the new StandBy mode could change the way you use your phone when it’s off, interactive widgets could redesign a lot of homescreens, and features like Live Voicemail and Contact Posters might have you actually making phone calls every now and again.
Apple followed roughly the same rubric it has for the last few iPhone launches: the base models get the stuff from last year’s Pro — like the Dynamic Island and some of the camera tech, even the A16 Bionic chip — and the Pros are the guinea pigs for Apple’s big new ideas.
iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus: design, colours
- As mentioned above, the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus feature Dynamic Island displays that make the pill-shaped notch intuitive.
- Another big upgrade is the adoption of USB-C on the iPhone 15 series as Apple finally bid goodbye to the Lightning port.
- Both iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus come with an OLED Super Retina display with up to 2000 nits peak brightness.
- The iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus come in a total of five colours — Pink, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Black. The new iPhones come in a textured matte finish, and a ceramic shield.
The Action Button, which replaces the ringer switch on the left side of the iPhone Pro, is a new button that you can customize to run shortcuts, bring up accessibility features, open the camera, turn on the flashlight, and more. By default, it’s still a ringer switch — but you’re going to want to use it to do more.
iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus specifications
- Display: The iPhone 15 features a 6.1-inch Super Retina XDR OLED display, while the Plus model has a bigger 6.7-inch display with up to 2000 nits peak brightness. Apple has, however, kept the 120Hz displays to the Pro models and the standard 60Hz for the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus.
- Processor:The iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus are powered by the A16 Bionic chip that’s present on the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max.
- Storage variants:You can get the iPhone 15 series in three storage variants: 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB.
- Cameras:There’s a dual camera setup on the iPhone 15 series featuring a 48MP primary sensor and a 12MP telephoto lens. Up front, there’s a 12MP front camera.
- Battery life: Apple says the iPhone 15 comes with an all-day battery life, while the iPhone 15 Plus offers more. The exact battery capacity has not been disclosed yet.
- Connectivity: The iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus come with a Type-C port, replacing the Lightning port. Additionally, the iPhones support MagSafe charging.
Just based on what we’re seeing in the video so far, it doesn’t look hugely different, but it’s a big change nonetheless. The new devices come in white, black, blue, and “natural” colors. And naturally, Apple is extremely proud of the complex engineering behind the process.