A Computer Science Graduate. I am a normal person with abnormal ideas.
"Create the difference and be the change you want to see."
Video conferencing has taken steep progress amid this covid-19 pandemic. This pandemic has promoted the work from home nature. Many IT companies use various tools to conduct meetings and share progress in a collaborative way. We have one of the most famous videos conferencing tools called Google Meet by Google. Though there are other tools as well such as Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Cisco WebX, etc.
As it is work from home, there might be a time when you do not want to expose your background as it might not look professional and give others a bad impression of your due to any reasons. So, changing the background is a feature of Google Meet. It allows you to make your background blur or completely change it to any image of your liking.
Things that you should keep in mind:
Before moving ahead with the steps to change the background image in Google Meet, there are few things that you should consider during these steps:
- These steps to change background will work only on Mac, Windows, Linux, and Chrome OS. You might find it harder to change the background on mobile devices.
- When you select call background, the camera will turn on automatically.
- If you are not logged in with your Google account you can only change the background once.
- If a user is joining a Google Workspace for Education video call, they; cannot select background images.
- Changing the background may slow your device, so you need to enable Hardware Acceleration on the Google Chrome browser for Windows/Mac by going to “Settings -> Advanced -> System -> Use hardware acceleration.”
After you have noted these points, now we can go ahead with the process of changing the background in Google Meet.
How to Change Background in Google Meet Call
Step 1: Go to the Google Meet desktop site, and join the meeting. You will be shown a preview of your video.
Step 2: Click on the three-dot icon located at the bottom right of your screen.
Step 3: From the list of options that appear, select; the “Change background” option.
Step 4: Once you click on the “Change background” option, you will be shown two options to choose from: “slightly blur” and “completely blur” the background. These can be applied to the existing background.
Step 5: To add a background picture from your PC, look for the "+" sign and click on it. Though you can also choose from the pre-populated backgrounds.
Step 6: Tap on any background, and it will automatically apply on your Google Meet video call.
Step 7: If you wish to remove the custom background from your screen, press the “Turn off backgrounds” button.
So, these are some simple steps by which you can change the background of your Google Meet call.