A Computer Science Graduate. I am a normal person with abnormal ideas.
"Create the difference and be the change you want to be."
As we know, due to the COVID-19 outbreak, we all are home stayed and are being encouraged to work from home. In view of this, we might have used some video conferencing applications such as ZOOM, Microsoft Teams, Google Meets, etc.
But recently we have seen ZOOM the most rated application for video conferencing to have some privacy issues, in view of this, Indian Govt. has announced to develop a video conferencing app under digital programme, which can be used for virtual meetings. This will surely help to promote homegrown business and will be beneficial for youth who love to develop things. India surely have great talents hidden, this opportunity will help them to do something great for society.
The challenge requires you to create an Indian Zoom alternative that can meet the video conferencing needs of the country. The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology has announced it as a “Make in India” challenge.
The best part is that the government is offering a reward of Rs 1 crore to the winner of the challenge.
Stages for qualification for this challenge
- Any individual or a team from the software development life cycle can participate in this challenge.
- In the beginning, the best ideas will be shortlisted, and they will get Rs 5 lakh as an award. 10 best teams will be shortlisted for the next stage.
- In the next stage i.e. second stage, 3 teams will be shortlisted and they’ll get an award of Rs 20 lakh to create the app.
- At last, one of the apps will be selected to be called "Homegrown App" for video conferencing.
- The winning team will get an award of Rs 1 crore from the Indian government. Apart from that, they will have to support the applications for at least four years. A budget of Rs 10 lakh per year will be sanctioned for the development and maintenance of the app.
You can clearly see, you are going to have such a big opportunity from the government. Those who can take up the challenge should participate in this and shine their names as "Homegrown App Developers".
Mandatory features for video conferencing app
- Support all video resolutions and audio quality
- Compatible with any device.
- Consist of a chat option during the video conference
- Have a video, audio recording feature
- Have encrypted network communication
- Use low power and work even in weak network scenarios
All the interested app developers can apply by visiting the official website of the Indian government. The government will not consider any submissions after 11:45 PM IST, April 30, 2020.